Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Rakott krumpli








My husband and I went to a pot luck dinner party a couple of months ago and one of the guests (Shane)  brought this intriguing Hungarian casserole that he said he and his dad have been making for years. At first I was a little skeptical because the combinations of ingredients were definitely something I've never seen.  You'll probably think the same thing and will say "ahhhhh, I don't know about this".


 You're going to have to trust me on this one. These strange combinations of ingredients really work.  It's creamy, cheesy, and salty and hits your taste buds in all the right places.  This will be the first time making it for me.  Shane went over the process step by step with me and I jotted it down on a scrap of paper.  The only thing I've done differently than Shane is that I added the caramelized onions.  Here goes...... Thanks Shane, I hope I do it justice!

 

  Prep Time:  20 minutes

  Cook Time:  60 minutes

  Servings:  6



Ingredients:

 

  • 2 lbs boiled. sliced red potatoes.( Don't remove the skin) I used 6 large .
  • 3 Hard Boiled Eggs Thinly Sliced
  • 2 Large Sweet Onions, Thinly Sliced
  • 3 Tablespoons Vegetable Oil
  • 2 Cups Sour Cream
  • 12 Ounces Cooked Kielbasa, Sliced into circles about 1/4 " thick
  • One Cup Sharp Shredded Cheddar Cheese
  • 2 Tablespoons Butter
  • Salt and Pepper




Directions:


 1.  Place the potatoes in a large pot, cover with salted water and boil until tender ( about 20 minutes).  Drain potatoes, cool and cut into 1/2 inch rounds. * Keep the skin on.

2.  In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat, add vegetable oil.  When hot, add the sliced onions and cook until tender and golden brown. ( about 10 minutes).  Remove from heat and set aside.

3.  Place the eggs in a large pot and cover with water.  Bring to a boil over high heat, after it begins to boil, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.  Drain and cool.  After eggs are cool, peel and slice into 1/2 inch rounds. * If you have an egg slicer, use it... it's so much easier.

4.  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease you 2 quart baking  oblong baking dish with butter.  .  Layer bottom of casserole with 1/3 sliced potatoes, 1/3 cooked onions, 1/3 sliced eggs, and 1/3 cooked sliced sausage.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper.   Spread  1/3 sour cream gently over everything.  Repeat two more times ending with sour cream and a sprinkle of the cheddar cheese.

5.  Cover with tin foil and bake for 60 minutes.  Let set 10 minutes before serving.

Print Recipe Here  



Boil those eggs. You only need three.  I'm just boiling extra for my husband to snack on but if you love them, by all means.... add some extra to your casserole.

 

 

Boil the taters.







  Caramelize those onions.

 

This it the brand that I used.

 










Coat your baking dish with butter.

 



Layer your potatoes, onions, eggs and kielbasa.

 



Carefully spread the sour cream.

 


Repeat the process two more times and sprinkle with your cheese

 


Almost ready.....

 


Into a 350 degree oven for 60 minutes.




Dig In!


No comments:

Post a Comment