Anyone who knows my husband knows that he loves anything with a "red" sauce on it. I mean anything....He's the only person I know that orders spaghetti and meatballs in a seafood restaurant. I know... gross, right???
This Italian Meatball Soup literally takes about 15 minutes to make if you have precooked your mini-meatballs or you buy the frozen kind. The frozen meatballs at the Market are actually pretty good, but of course homemade meatballs are always a better choice. Serve it with a big loaf of crusty Italian bread or biscuits, a side of freshly grated Parmesan cheese and watch all your troubles melt away....
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil ( enough to cover bottom of pan )
- ½ cup Onions, Diced
- 1 clove Garlic, Minced
- ½ cup Celery, Diced
- 1 pound of pre-cooked mini meatballs ( store bought or your own)
- 14 ounces, Canned Diced Tomatoes
- 14 ounces, Tomato Sauce
- 6 cups Beef Broth
- 1 cup Corn, Frozen
- 1 teaspoons Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 cup Uncooked Pasta, Small Shells
- Parmesan or Romano Cheese, to sprinkle on soup (optional)
- FOR THE MEATBALLS:
- 3/4 Ground Beef
- 1/4 Ground Pork
- 1 large Eggs, Lightly Beaten
- 1/3 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Cup Italian-Style Bread Crumbs or Fresh Breadcrumbs
- 3/4 Tsp. Dried Italian Seasoning
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2-3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil- For Drizzling Over Meatballs
In a medium mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, ground pork , egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, dry Italian Seasoning, and salt. Mix thoroughly until combined. Roll each meatball into bite size mini balls. Place rolled meatballs on a large cookie sheet or pizza pan (with sides). Drizzle the meatballs with olive oil and roll them around to make sure they're evenly coated. Cook meatballs in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and drain on a paper towel.
In a large pot or dutch oven, add olive oil, onion and celery, saute for about 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for about another minute.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, mini meatballs, corn and seasoning. Bring to a boil. Add pasta. Cook until pasta is done (about 10 minutes).
Serve with a sprinkle of cheese if desired.