* 3 Large Eggplants sliced lengthwise. Salt the eggplant slices and let drain in a colander for 1 hour. Dry them with paper towels.
* Hand full of Panko bread crumbs ( I use Emeril's plain ).
* 1 large slightly stale loaf of Italian bread ( fill your food processor 1/2 way with bread and pulse until you get the size you like. I like my crumbs on the bigger side. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Evenly spread the bread crumbs on a large baking sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 5 minutes, turn the oven off and let the bread crumbs sit in the oven for 30 minutes or until just dry .
* 5-6 eggs ( beat with fork and add a couple tablespoons water ).
* Parmesan Cheese freshly grated ( big hand full for bread crumb mixture and more for layering the eggplant.
* Mozzarella cheese for top.
* Big batch of your best homemade Marinara Sauce.
Directions are below.....
|Start by cutting off the top and bottom and |
then slice eggplant lengthwise, salt it and let drain for 1 hour
|Pat dry on paper towels.|
|Homemade toasted bread crumbs mixed|
with a hand full of panko and a hand full
of grated Parmesan cheese.
|Dredge front and back in flour.|
|Dredge front and back in egg wash.|
|Coat front and back with bread crumb mixture|
|Fry both sides in oil until golden brown and crispy.|
|Drain on paper towels.|
|Layer of sauce in your 9x13 pan.|
|Layer of eggplant.|
|Cover eggplant with sauce and fresh Parmesan cheese....keep stacking.|
|Continue to layer. Top off the final layer with sauce and grated mozzarella.|
Bake at 375 until hot, bubbly and cheese is melted.
( Takes about 30 minutes)