Thursday, September 15, 2016
Fabulous, foolproof and decadent. These are just a few words that describe this pie. It's a southern, slightly sweet, custard like decadent pie and it's super easy to make. You're going to love seeing peoples reaction when you bring this to a party. As soon as they hear the word buttermilk you'll see scrunched up faces and eye rolls, but trust me, they'll be asking you for the recipe after the first bite!
I found this recipe on Tasty.com , it was submitted by BakeYourDay
4 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
1 3/4 Cup Sugar
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup Melted Butter
3 Whole Eggs Beaten
1 Cup Buttermilk
1 Teaspoon Vanilla
1 Whole Pie Shell, Unbaked
Combine flour, sugar and salt in a mixing bowl.
To that mixing bowl, add melted butter and beaten eggs and stir with a whisk until well blended.
Stir in buttermilk and vanilla, mix well.
Pour into the pie shell, bake for 55-60 minutes at 350 degree until filling is set and the top is golden brown.
Thursday, September 8, 2016
I haven't blogged for a while and I have a few good recipes that I will be putting up this month. this is the first one. I found it in a recipe book called " The best Simple Recipes" by America's Test Kitchen. It's pretty easy and if you're in a hurry you can use rotisserie chicken instead of your own. I baked a couple of chicken breasts and used them because I hate rotisserie chicken. My sister Sandy has a special name for rotisserie chicken and I just can't get that out of my head, so thanks Sandy for forever ruining rotisserie chicken for me.
A few changes that I made ....
1. I added corn to the recipe.
2. I used parsley instead of cilantro, (just a personal preference.)
3. I made a salsa side dressing that goes great with the pie.
Notes: The key to this pie is the buttering of the pie plate before you put the tortilla in and the vegetable spray which goes on top of the tortilla before you add the ingredients. It makes the tortilla come out nice and crunchy.
Ingredients For Pie
1 (10 inch) flour tortilla
3 Cups Cook, shredded chicken cut into bite-sized pieces
1/2 Cup Cilantro... (Optional) I used about 1/4 cup chopped parsley.
1/3 Cup drained jarred jalapenos chopped
1/2 Cup Cooked, Drained Corn (Optional)
2 Cups Cheese
Salt and Pepper
2 Large Eggs
1 Cup Whole Milk
1 Cup All Purpose Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
Ingredients for Dressing:
1/3 Cup Sour Cream, 1/3 Cup Salsa, 1/8 Cup Mayonnaise.
1. Whisk the dressing ingredients until smooth and store in refrigerator until pie is ready.
2. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees. Grease a 9-inch pie plate with butter. Press tortilla into prepared buttered pie plate. Spray tortilla with vegetable oil spray. Toss Chicken, cilantro, jalapenos, corn, 1 cup cheese, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper in bowl until combined. Spread filling over tortilla.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk eggs, milk, flour , baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon salt in bowl until smooth. Slowly pour over filling, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake until surface is golden brown, about 20 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes. Cute into wedges and serve with dressing on the side.