Thursday, June 13, 2013

Eggplant Rollatini with Meat





I've had this beautiful eggplant sitting on my counter for about 5 days... just looking at me.....waiting to be made into something .  One eggplant isn't really enough to make eggplant Parmesan for 4 people but it sure is enough to make eggplant rollatini.  I have a great recipe for eggplant rollatini that my sister found in the Gloucester times.  She made it, passed on the recipe to me and  I've made it a couple of times.  It's a good one. Here's the link. Eggplant Rollatini
But I'm not going to make it tonight because I Know I'll get the "what???, no meat" comment. Heaven's forbid I have a dinner with no meat.
So... I'm going to experiment a little bit, nothing to fancy.  Maybe just a combination of the above recipe with some sauteed ground beef added in. 

Basically all I did was:
1.  Make a quick sauce. ( you can find that recipe on my blog.) Quick Sauce
2.  Mix some ricotta cheese with grated parmesan.
3.  Saute some ground beef and onion, throw in some oregano, basil and salt.
4.  Slice one eggplant lengthwise, salt it, let it sit for an hour in a strainer, then dry with paper towel.
5.  Grille the eggplant to soften it up.
6.  Combine the ricotta mixture, cooked meat and some sauce. 
7.  Put about 1 tablespoon of ricotta mixture on each grilled eggplant, roll it up, place it seam side down, pour some sauce over it, sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and bake until the cheese is melted.  ( about 10 minutes in a 350 degree oven.)











No comments:

Post a Comment