I absolutely love any recipe that requires only one pot,pan or skillet. Who doesn't?? This recipe is quick, easy, delicious, and you guessed it.... only requires one pot. If you don't own a dutch oven you're really missing out. I use mine for so many things. They're great for slow cooking sauces, stews, soups and just about anything else. It goes from stove top to oven, has a super tight lid and because it's made of cast iron it holds the heat longer. If you do get one, make sure that its coated in enamel, it will never rust and you won't ever have to season it. They make them in almost every color and if you purchase one at Marshall's or T.J Maxx's you'll save a bundle.
Now, about that the Lemon Orzo Chicken......
This dish is loaded with lemon flavor, tender orzo and the chicken falls right off the bone, but the best part.... just one pot to clean!
- 1 1/2 lbs Chicken Thighs , Drum Sticks or a Combination of both
- 1 1/2 Cups Orzo
- 3 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2-3 Tablespoons Olive Oil or enough to coat bottom of skillet/dutch oven
- 1 Whole Lemon Sliced
- 1 Clove Garlic Chopped
- 3 TBS Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Pitted Kalamata Olives, Diced
- 1/2 tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 tsp salt
1. Pre-Heat oven to 350 degrees. Generously salt and pepper all sides of chicken.
2. In a oven proof skillet or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium/high heat. Brown all sides of chicken , about five minutes per side. Once browned, remove chicken from and set aside.
3. To the dutch oven, add the orzo and garlic, saute for 2 minutes scraping the bits from bottom of the pan. Turn off heat and add the chicken broth, lemon slices, lemon juice, diced olives, dried oregano and tsp of salt. Stir well. Add the chicken back to the pan. Cover the pan and place in your pre- heated oven. Bake for 45 minutes.
|Brown chicken on all sides.|
|Once browned, remove chicken and set aside.|
|To the same pan, add the garlic and orzo. Saute for 2 minutes scraping bits from bottom of pan.|
|Turn off heat, add the lemon juice, sliced lemons, chopped olives, oregano, chicken and salt.|
|Cover pot and place in the 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.|