Friday, March 8, 2013

Pumpkin Pie with Walnut Struesel Topping





So..spring officially starts in less than two weeks, but once again, here in New England we are being bombarded by another giant snow storm.  I think by now everyone has had enough!  Enough shoveling, enough slippery roads, enough school cancellations, enough 24 hour weather updates on every single television channel!  
 Stuck in the house yet again....Luckily for me, it just so happens that my husband made one of his famous trips to the grocery store last night. He does this every once in a while. You never no when it's going to happen and you never know what he's going to come home with, but I can tell you this.. he always brings home the most random things and last night was no different.   He proudly came home with 4 boxes of cereal, (because he couldn't believe the great price), a package of dried figs, a GIANT bag of walnuts, a bag of almonds, grapefruit juice and the weirdest thing.... four thick cut pork chops. He never really brings home anything that I actually need but I don't complain, I just stuff everything in the already over stuffed cabinets and politely say "awesome, thanks"..
This morning before he left for work he was examining his prized bag of walnuts and said
 " have you ever seen walnuts this nice before?"  I said to myself" ahhhhh, yaaa???", but said to him.......
" those do look pretty nice".
Then he asked me if I could make something today with these amazing walnuts. So, since I'm stuck in the house I decided to give it a go.  Here is what I came up with.
Pumpkin Pie with a Walnut Struesel Topping. Last week he single handedly ate an entire peach pie.  I have no doubt he'll do the same with this one and I do have to admit.... those walnuts really are pretty nice!






One 9 Inch Unbaked Pie Crust:  Recipe
For Pie Filling:
  • 1 15 Ounce Can Pumpkin Puree
  • 1 14 Ounce Can Sweetened Condensed Milk
  • 2 Whole Eggs
  • 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Ginger
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Salt

For Streusel Topping:
  • 2 Tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
  • 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
  • 2 Tablespoons Chilled Butter
  • 1 Cup Chopped Walnuts

 Directions:

1.  Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
2.  In a large bowl mix together the pumpkin, sweetened condensed milk and eggs.  Add in the cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt.  Whisk until blended and smooth. 
3.  Pour into pie shell.
4.  Bake for 15 minutes.
5.  While pie is in oven, make the topping.  In a small bowl, add the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon.  Add the chilled butter and blend with a fork or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.  Mix in the chopped nuts. Set aside.
5.  Remove pie from oven, sprinkle with struesel topping.
6.  Reduce the heat to 350 degrees F., return pie to oven and continue to bake for an additional 40 minutes.


Print Here
 




No comments:

Post a Comment