- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 whole Medium Onion, Diced
- 2 whole Large Carrots, Peeled And Chopped
- 1 pound Ground Beef
- ½ teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons Thyme, Chopped
- 1 Tablespoon All-purpose Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1-¼ cup Beef Broth
- 1 pound Yukon Golden Potatoes, Peeled And Diced
- 3 Tablespoons Butter
- ⅔ cups Milk, Cream, Or Half And Half
- ½ cups Cheddar Cheese, Shredded
- 2 pinches Paprika
Add the meat to the same pan with the onions and carrots and cook on medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Continue to break up the meat with your spoon. When meat if fully cooked, carefully spoon off any fat. Return pan back to stove top on medium heat and stir in the cinnamon, thyme and the flour (the flour will help thicken things up and make your gravy). Once all of the ingredients are coated in the flour, add the tomato paste and gradually add the beef broth. Simmer for 30 minutes which will make a nice thick gravy.
While the meat is simmering, boil your potatoes in a pot of water until done. Depending on the size of the dice this will take between 10 and 20 minutes. When done drain the potatoes.
Preheat oven to 400 F.
In a large bowl, mash the potatoes and add the butter, milk and cheddar cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
In an 8×8 square or pie pan spread your meat mixture, top with the cheddar potatoes and spread evenly.
Bake in a 400 F oven for 25-30 minutes until golden. Sprinkle with paprika and serve.
Step by Step Instructions