There are so many spaghetti pie recipes out there, most of them have pretty much all of the same ingredients. The only difference that I see is that some use cottage cheese and some use ricotta cheese. I prefer ricotta. This is the recipe that I've always used. Today I used whole wheat spaghetti (all I had) and the "special" sauce that was in my birthday basket. The sauce is awesome but you do have to add fresh basil, salt, pepper and a dash of sugar.
Spaghetti Pie is a great meal that can be made ahead of time and easily re-heated right before serving. All you need is a side salad and you're good to go!
|Here's that sauce I was talking about.|
1/2 Lb Spaghetti
4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Small Onion Chopped
1 Clove Garlic Minced
1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Cup Ricotta Cheese
2 Cups Prepared Tomato Sauce
1/2 Cup Grated Mozzarella
Olive Oil for drizzling
Preparation InstructionsPreheat oven to 350ºF. Spray a pie plate with cooking spray.
1. Boil spaghetti for 8-10 minutes. Drain and drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil to keep from sticking. Set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and add 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Add this mixture to the pasta and stir well. Set aside.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, mix the remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and ricotta cheese, set aside.
4. In a medium skillet, drizzle remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the onion and saute on medium heat for a couple of minutes until tender. Add the garlic and cook one more minute. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Drain the grease and return to another mixing bowl.
5. Add the prepared sauce to meat mixture and stir well. Set aside.
6. Add the pasta mixture to the pie plate and spread evenly up to the edges. Spread ricotta cheese mixture over the pasta. Pour meat mixture over the ricotta cheese. Top with mozzarella.
7. Bake for 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before cutting.
|Cook onion, garlic and ground beef.|
|Drain fat, add prepared tomato sauce.|
|Mix beaten eggs and parm cheese. ( its the glue)|
|Mix the ricotta and parm cheese.|
|Spray pie pan|
|Add glue to cooked spaghetti.|
|Spread into pie pan.|
|Spread Ricotta over pasta.|
|Spread meat mixture over ricotta.|
|Sprinkle with 1/2 mozzarella cheese.|
Bake in 350 degree oven for 1/2 hour.
Let set on counter for 15 minutes before cutting.