Just yesterday someone posted a recipe for Zuppa Toscana on Facebook. It was a Copy Cat recipe from the Olive Garden. The recipe looked great and I wanted to try it but it was loaded with fat and calories ,so I decided to make a few changes. I used chicken sausage, fat free 1/2 and 1/2, left out the bacon and I used leeks instead of onions for extra flavor.
The soup ended up with lots less fat and calories and the taste was still amazing!
1 lb. Chicken Italian Sausage Sliced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
2 Large Russet Potatoes Diced Into 1 Inch Pieces
1 1/2 Cups Cleaned and Chopped Leeks
2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
32 oz. Chicken Broth
2 Cups Swiss chard, chopped ( no stems, just leaves)
1 Cup Fat Free Half and Half
Salt and Pepper To Taste
1. Heat olive oil on medium heat, add the chopped leeks. Saute for 2 minutes.
2. Add the two cloves of garlic and the cut sausage and continue to saute for five minutes or until sausage browns, watch closely so garlic doesn't burn.
3. Add the chicken broth and the chopped potatoes.
4. Bring to a boil and then lower heat until potatoes are soft. About 20 minutes.
5. Turn the heat off and add the Swiss Chard and cream. Do not boil. Serve right away.
|Slice sausage into 1 inch slices.|
|Cook Leeks in olive oil for two minutes or until wilted.|
|Add two cloves of garlic.|
|Add sliced sausage and brown with garlic for 5 minutes.|
|Chop Swiss Chard Leaves and set aside.|
|Add Chopped Potatoes, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to low boil for 20 minutes until tender.|
|Add the Swiss Chard to the pan.|
|Add the 50% Fat Free 1/2 and 1/2 and turn off heat.|