- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 lb. beef stew meat cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Olive oil
- 1 large portobello mushroom, stem removed, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 Celery stalks, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 8 cups beef stock
- 2 cups water
- 14.5 ounce can undrained diced tomatoes
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed into 1" pieces
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed into 1 " pieces
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1/2 " slices
- 2/3 cups quick-cooking barley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1. In a bowl, mix flour and salt, Coat beef with flour. In a dutch oven, heat 3 Tbsp of oil, add beef and brown on all sides. Remove, and set aside.
2. In the same dutch oven,cover bottom of pan with more olive oil, add the chopped mushroom, onion, and celery. Cook and stir for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Add the beef stock, water and entire can of diced tomatoes. Return beef to stock pan. Bring to a boil, reduce, cover and simmer for 60 minutes until the meat is tender.
3. While the soup is simmering, place the squash, carrots and potatoes on an oiled baking sheet. Toss veggies and bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes until almost tender. Stir half way through.
4. Add the barley and roasted veggies to the soup. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover for 10-12 minutes until barley is tender.